One of the most popularly used communication tools in the recent few years is Video calling. It is easy, convenient, and the best way to communicate with your loved ones and friends. With the introduction of Video calling, connecting with people from around the world became way more transformed than ever.
In this modern age, there is a vast array of options in Video calling apps. This means that you can choose any video calling app that you like. It can often become confusing to choose one particular app – one app that completes all your requirements such as good voice and video quality etc. To make the selecting process convenient for you, here is a list of Video Calling apps with their pros and cons:
This video-telephone app is a product of Apple Inc. In 2010, it was initially released for iOS devices. In 2010, FaceTime could only work on Wi-Fi because the cellular networks thought that FaceTime would use too much bandwidth. Now, FaceTime can work on Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
- Effective video calling
- Good video and audio quality
- Video calls be made long distance
- Available for people in some remote areas
- The data consumption is still high
- Internet availability is always required• You can mute yourself only
This video chat mobile app was launched on August 16, 2016, by Google. It is available on iOS and Android operating systems. One of the cool specs of this app is that it can easily work on low-bandwidth networks. The users can make high-definition calls with this app.
- Fast and simple
- It only requires your phone number (no need for additional verification through email etc.)
- You can make only video calls
- High-quality video
- End-to-end encryption
- Can work on Wi-Fi or data
- Not used by many people
- Can only support iOS and Android
- You cannot text or make a voice call
- You cannot use Google Duo on multiple devices
It is a live video messenger app that combines texting and video chat to make it more enticing. It is suitable for Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.
- The video chat is quite fast
- The app focuses a lot on convenience
- You can send audio messages
- Video quality is good
- You can download videos from your phone
- Sometimes the videos take longer to load or do not load at all
- Some users have reported that it is buggy
- App restarts on its own quite frequently
- The app charges fee to its users to watch previously saved videos
In 2003, it was founded by Niklas Zennström, and Janus Friis. With time, Skype has become one of the most used Video calling apps. It is not only used as a commercial product, it has become quite famous among teachers and students due to its free version and high convenience.
- It is ultra-easy to install and use
- The service is reliable
- There is a feature of making group calls
- It is cheaper in rates
- The subscription charges are low
- The calling experience is secured
- There are not many features in it
- There is no call return option
- There is no call blocking option
- There is no access to emergency services such as 911 etc.
- You can easily pick the background noises
- The sound depends on bandwidth
- There are chances that the service might go down like it did in 2007
This voice over IP (VoIP) and the cross-platform instant messaging app was released in 2010. Even since its release, Viber has become a quite popular app and so far it has over 800 million registered users.
- Easy to operate
- Can be used for video calling, voice calling, and SMS
- It is free
- Video and voice quality is good
- The development team of Viber is dedicated
- There are reports of bugs in the app
- There is no call blocking option
- It needs an internet connection
- The quality gets reduced if the Wi-Fi or 3G connection is weak
It is an app that is known as the most versatile and innovative app in the world. WeChat is famous since it has merged so many features into one such as social media, payment, online shopping etc.
- The video quality is flawless
- The voice messages can be listened easily and without downloading the file
- It is easy to use
- It is not much expensive
- There are not many reports regarding bugs in the app
- You cannot distinguish whether the other user is “online” or “offline”
- Sometimes it can become hard to navigate/use the app since there are so many features in it
- There is a language barrier
It is a free high-quality app that is used for video calling and messaging. Ever since its release, it has become quite popular among its users.
- It is free
- Video is clear
- Voice is clear
- You can message the other person while you are video calling
- A screenshot feature is available
- The app has bugs
- ooVoo crashes unexpectedly and regularly
- it does not operate well while using data
- the voice is slower than the video
It has a cross-platform operating system, and WhatsApp is definitely one of the most widely used apps in the world. It can be used for sharing videos, pictures, files, and to make voice calls and video calls. By 2016, it had over 1 billion users in the world.
- it is free
- WhatsApp is ultra-convenient to use
- It does not bother the users with constant advertisement
- The video call quality is good
- There is end-to-end encryption so your message is secure
- You can share all the information such as your address, location etc.
- You need internet to use it
- There are no stickers
- There is a file size limit and you cannot send a file exceeding that limit
- You cannot unread a message (a blue mark shows that you’ve read the message)
It offers a multi-platform support just like WhatsApp-it’s best for long-distance and international calls. It was launched in 2011, and by 2016, it had over 700 million users in the world. It can also be used on desktop computers, laptops etc.
- You need a number to use this app, but you can also integrate your account with your email ID
- Good for long-distance
- It is easy to use
- Video calling is fun and without much interruptions
- It also has a timeline for your profile just like Facebook
- It can become a bit slopping sometimes
- The app can crash unexpectedly
- You have to download attachment before using/playing them
Another one that is best for long distance calls, this “instant message application” was launched in 2010. It is available on Android, iOS, windows phone, and other processors. It is used over in 130 countries and it is available in 15 languages. Kakao boasts a gift option, meaning you can send gifts to your friends through the app! Unfortunately this is available in South Korea only at the moment.
- Easy to use and download
- It has a free call function
- There is an option to download premium themes for customizing the app
- Those who love chat rooms will find this app amazing
- Even though it is available in 130 countries, most users are from South Korea
- There is no computer app for Kakao
- The emoticons are not free and you’ll have to pay for them
It is an app that has many features, but the reason why it is liked the most is because of its high-quality video calling feature. It works on all smartphones, and it is not a heavy app to download.
- It is free to download
- The video and voice quality is superb
- It is a free app
- It is easy to switch between video and voice call
- There can be long delays
- In video calls, there can be poor voice-syncing
- Need to pay for international calling
- Sometimes the video quality is uneven
It is a free text and video calling app that enhances your communication between friends, and family. It is a good app to use if you are into games and communicating with your loved ones. The company was recently acquired by Kik, so there will be new features.
- Easy and convenient to use
- It is free
- Fun built-in features
- High video quality
- Easy to navigate the features
- No accessibility without internet
- The app can crash every now and then
- User have complained about having difficulty in connecting